Sunday, April 06, 2008

Flora

I've made another doll using the same patterns I used to make Ruth.

I'm intrigued with the idea of making dolls that look like middle-aged women, so Flora has long grey braids and a sensible but very spring-inspired wardrobe. I like the idea of an older woman representing spring.
She's got a long blouse and floral culottes. Her hat and pants use some of the fabrics I used to make Ruth.
She's got an apron made from a vintage doily and some fun bee buttons. I imagine that both Flora and Ruth are gardeners. So far all of my dolls have aprons. I love aprons, but seldom wear one myself. I remember both my grandmothers wearing them, so I guess that's why I associate them with women-of-a-certain-age.
This morning I also made this tote bag for a friend's birthday. It's made of home dec fabric and a great pattern that was free at JoAnn's. The bag is grocery-sized and it took an hour and a half to make. They have various free patterns on tear-off pads in the pattern department. The instructions weren't that clear, but experienced sewers can figure it out.

My work life is a bit hectic these day, but I look forward to my creative time. It's when I re-charge my batteries for the rest of the week.

8 comments:

Rian said...

You just can't help but smile when looking at Flora. Sweet!

Debra Dixon said...

Flora is a real cute gal doll! Your dolls have great personalities.

JoWynn Johns said...

Oh, she's got my shape!

allie aller said...

There is something about your dolls...they have such a deep presence to them...not at all like most dolls I see being made.
Your concept of creating middle aged women is so fantastic, too!

So, you must tell us which school Allie has chosen!!!

Finn said...

Hey Barb, another great doll! What a cutie she is, gray braids and all. Love the apron idea, and the buttons are a perfect touch. Hugs, Finn

Judy S. said...

Don't you have a trowel for Flora? She's just perfect...love the hat and apron. What a fun project.

Also like the bag, and I'll bet your friend did, too.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Deb Hardman said...

She may have gray hair, but I don't see any wrinkles!

She's very cute.

I love the bag fabric. Nice design.

Granny Fran said...

As a woman of a certain age, I would love to go out in the outfit you put together for Flora. Without the long gray braids, I have to keep my hair short.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...