Saturday, June 26, 2010

Empty Nest


I knew it was coming, but I didn't imagine that I would have an empty nest in one fell swoop. Both my kids moved out together into an apartment. They have fairly grown up lives with two jobs each and school, and living at home with mom gets old after 20 or 22 years.

They found a cute apartment together, and except for my daily calls and inquiries into what they're eating, they're doing great. It's hard for me sometimes not to imagine them as these two little ones perched on the love seat. This is one of my favorite photos of them, as it shows how close and how protective of each other they've always been. When Alex barely had begun to talk he wanted to hit a kid on the playground who had thrown sand at his sister. And Allie has always been the cool big sister, even when, a kindergartner, she used toilet paper to make "casts" and "bandages" for Alex, her cooperative patient.

When Allie and I were making the sweep of the local thrift stores looking for a sofa, we found a love seat identical to the one in this picture, and in great shape despite the years. We snapped it up, and when Alex saw it later, he was amazed that we had found this replica of their childhood love seat.


I still had some of the old pillows to that set of furniture, so I recovered them with swatches of upholstery fabric that I had stashed. They create continuity between the old life and the new.

I covered some other old pillows with a piece of chenille that I had put away, lord knows why, but it does make nice pillow covers.


For good measure, I made some pot holders. What else is a mother to do?

9 comments:

allie aller said...

How totally bitter sweet, Barbara!
It is amazing that they still are joining forces in their first pad on their own.

And you found The Loveseat!

Lots of transitions for all of us are in the air this summer, I think.
May this new phase of your life be filled with adventurous discovery...

beth said...

kids leaving home is normal but sad for mom. I just try to tell myself it's normal!! But sometimes that doesn't make it any easier!
I do the same kind of sewing projects for my kids as they leave!
Quilting will come in handy to fill the emptiness. ;)

Judy S. said...

An empty nest takes some getting used to, doesn't it? Sounds as if they aren't too far away though. We get to see our local kids fairly often, but the one in Chicago we only see occasionally... and that's where the GK are.

Rian said...

Aww, how sad. It's a tough transition for a mom. Especially both at the same time. The house will be too quiet for a while, but it will be okay. At least they have each other to take care of.

{{{cyberhugs}}}

Debra Dixon said...

It's surprising how quickly you will get used to the house by yourself!

Wishing your kids a good transition!

Kay said...

It is bittersweet. But as the mother of a boomerang son, I see that you're experiencing a normal, desirable period. It's wonderful that they're so close! Good job, Mom.

quiltmom anna said...

HI Barbara,
Wow! Lots of change at once for you- it does take a bit of getting used to but it can be fun to be an empty nest. Our son moved out in the spring and we are learning about life with out a young adult at home.
What great good fortune to find that sofa. I love the pillows and pot holders too.
Enjoy a fantastic summer- I am sure you will have some good times when your kids pop by to visit.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Magpie Sue said...

It's hard to see them go. Making things for their apartment keeps Mom around, I think, even if she's not there in person. Love what you did with the pillows!

Aron said...

Hi! Nice article there, would like to add that today’s sectional sofas are for a lifetime! :)
Check out my site!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...