Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TAST Week 10: Running Stitch


I had an unusually busy weekend, but I managed to fill in a few spots on my March block.  I found a bit of sparkly thread to interlace with running stitch, and I added some fly stitch to the center image of the block.  I  used outline stitch to sew the doves motif, which I found in this old embroidery pamphlet I've had for awhile.  Since it has 55 cents penciled in on the cover, it must be a garage sale or thrift store find.


The pamphlet is undated, but it brags that, although it it written in English, it was printed in France, and it has the imprint of Thiriez & Cartier-Bression of Lille-Paris.  It also announces that a series of these "albums" is available "in Stores, Habersashers' and Ladies' Needlework shops."  Oh my.
 

The designs are charming and not snooty at all.


It gives illustrated directions for stitches, and some sweet projects.

Some of my favorite on-line sources for embroidery motifs are: Vintage Transfer Finds, where florecita has started posting again, and the mother lode: the Hoop Love Vintage Transfers site on Flickr, which you have to join to access, an easy process.  Once you're on the site, be prepared to spend some time browsing.

Have a great week everyone.  I'm on Spring break this week, which means I'm doing my taxes, car maintenance, and other deferred projects.  

5 comments:

beth said...

Your stitching is beautiful! What a lovely book and THANK you for the links. I'll have fun looking around today. ;)

jenclair said...

I like the silvery cord weaving its way through the stitches. The embroidery book looks like a great find!

Rian said...

It looks like you are really having fun with this--the stitches are beautiful and I'm enjoying watching it come together.

Magpie Sue said...

I love that little chick with the balloon in your delightful little embroidery book. I daren't look at the links you've mentioned for embroidery patterns... At least, not until I've plugged my laptop back into the wall! ;- )

Judy S. said...

What a great find your book is! I love what you're doing with this block. How do you transfer the design to your block, or is that on tear-away stuff?

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...