Sunday, February 10, 2013

St. Francis Preaches to the Birds (32 x 33")


I finished this wall hanging, remarkably close to on-time, thanks to the peer pressure encouragement of the talented participants in the Tuesday Stitchers group.  Most of us did some version of the Crazy Quilt Journal Project and the Take a Stitch Tuesday challenges.  It's not typical for me to work on a schedule, but I am very happy to see the project come to fruition. 

Here are several close-ups. 


The blocks, sashing and binding were joined by hand because I felt it gave me the most control when working with the shape-shifting sizes of these blocks.


I used an assortment of buttons, beads and some quilting stitches to bind the top  layer to the backing.









There are the medals of St. Francis (with birds swirling around his head) and St. Clare, who I've been told is the patron saint of embroiderers.  These, and the lace panel of the Virgin Mary, were brought back from Italy by my friend Cathrine.





For the backing, I used this vintage upholstery panel.


Here's what the finished quilt back looks like.  I still have to attach the hangings sleeve at the top, and add the label, which will go into the space below the tree.

With this project done, the rest of the year is wide open for new projects.  We'll see what jumps onto the design wall from here.

9 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Turned out beautifully Barbara. The border you chose is perfect for showing off your blocks. The back is lovely also. Congrats on finishing.

Rian said...

Sometimes (for me anyway) having a deadline is the only way to see a project through. You've done a remarkable job--each and every facet of the piece is a joy to look at. Brava!

AGD said...

Your quilt is extraordinary... I love it!

sophie said...

It's Gorgeous! I really like the border fabric--is it vintage? That backing is almost too pretty to put on the back. Will you hang this one? I love it.

allie aller said...

It is ravishing, Barbara...

Magpie Sue said...

This turned out beautifully - of course!

KatieQ said...

This piece is beautiful. I love your attention to detail. Everywhere you look there is something to dazzle the eye. I loved studying each block and seeing the embellishments you worked into the design. The back is a perfect addition. It's wonderful to find beauty even in the spaces that you don't usually see.
I found your blog from a comment you left on Debra's Madonnas quilt.

Susan Elliott said...

It's an absolutely wonderful quilt Barbara. I'm so glad it was chosen to be in Sacred Threads...I will do my best to travel to Virginia to see it this summer. The details are enchanting as is the subject matter...but I think it is your overall composition and binding choices that give the piece harmony and grace. Congratulations on a spectacular finish.

Laurie said...

This is amazingly beautiful! St. Francis is my favorite saint, and this truly does him justice. Gorgeous!!4

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...