Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Using My Powers for Good






 A student of mine in an intern at a center for youth, and she's asked for outerwear for the kids she's working with.  I decided to make up some hats, the first batch is made of bulky yarn from the Rockstar pattern.

 

I got a little bored and so switched to Keiyla's Basic Beanie and broke out some scraps.   This runs a bit big if you want to knit for someone with a bigger head.  Both patterns are free on line.


 Continuing the children's clothes-making for Debra's project, I sewed up this size 6 dress.


Contrasting facing makes for a fun deail.


 Instead of gathering the fabric for a ruffle, I stitched on some eyelet, so the finishing was super fast.



After this my Janome had a bit of a meltdown, and I had to take it to the repair shop.  This gave me the chance to dust off one of my old Singers, the 301 and to oil it up to sew a couple of pairs of shorts I'd cut out.  Boy the stitch on these old machines is a thing of beauty.


4 comments:

sophie said...

The little dresses you are making are so sweet. Your sewing machine story has a familiar ring. I pulled out my 301 when my Bernina died about a year ago and even though the Bernina has been fixed, for some reason I keep using the old singer.

margaret said...

the mits and hats will be very welcome in the cold weather and the dresses are very pretty. The machine looks elderly! my daughter who has never stitched has been given a singer non electric and when she checked it out it was made in 1903, hoping to have a play but so far she has not let me

babytøj said...

I would like to say thank you for a really good article that you've got written.

Magpie Sue said...

Your second style hat looks very much like some my mother made back in the day. They were always too big for my little head! I appreciated the way they covered my ears though. :- )

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...